Helping fearful dogs workshop
Join me in Bow New Hampshire January 21, 2012* and learn about the most effective and humane ways to work with fearful, shy, anxious and aggressive dogs. Pet owners, trainers, shelter and vet staff, foster care providers will gain valuable information to improve their fearful dog handling skills.
The 1/2 day session will include:
- Why dogs are afraid
- What fear/stress looks like
- How to interact with feral or unsocialized dogs
- How to work with fear based behaviors
- The use of play in the rehabilitation of fearful dogs
- Understanding the effects of reinforcement & punishment on fearful dogs
- What is learned helplessness?
- Myth of reinforcing fear
In the afternoon there will be further consideration of techniques and methods for management and training including:
- Counter conditioning & desensitization
- Cueing to minimize fearful responses
- Creating conditioned reinforcers
- Handling puppymill or hoarding survivors
Please leave your fearful dog at home! Demo dogs will be screened prior to the presentation to determine if they are appropriate (will be comfortable) for this setting. The methods and skills you learn here today are transferable to the dogs in your home or shelter.
CEUs will be available for CPDTs.
1/2 day $77 (morning session available as 1/2 session only)-8:30am-12:30
Full day: $105- 8:30am-5:30pm
Sponsored by No Monkey Business Dog Training.
* Bad weather date- January 28, 2012